Saturday, November 19, 2011

Oh no! Another Photo from Mars


So the latest news out of NASA is that they have this photo of sand dunes shifting in the wind.

That's their story. I have my own theory, and it involves a few nightmares.

This latest photo comes from the data banks of the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, which has been tooling around the surface of the Red Planet for about six years now. So I guess there's some comfort in that, since if Mars were full of marauding monsters, that poor little orbiter might have been shot down by lasers by now.

I think that's what has happened to the poor little rover that disappeared, actually, since we don't hear much from it anymore these days. It could very well be that the Martians have advanced sufficiently to be able to pick up a giant foot and squash a little robot roaming around the surface of the planet but that the Martians' technology hasn't advanced to Wells-ian heights just yet.

But back to the new photo: It's shifting sands, NASA says, so something is shifting the sand. NASA says that wind is doing the shifting and that wind on the planet's surface must be stronger than previously thought. Right, or something is causing that wind, like a giant monster-driven armored vehicle, oozing exhaust and creating its own tunnel as it marauds about the surface, looking for tiny little robots to crush.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more concerned I am with this photo. Not sure about you, but I think I see something in that photo. Is that really shifting sand, or is that a giant eyebrow? For all we know, we could be looking at a Godzilla-sized Martian monster taking a nap. It sure looks like a face. Remember the famous one (right)?

It's a good thing I'm writing these things down, so I can forget them when I go to bed. You've done that, haven't you — been consumed during the night by thoughts so scary or cumbersome that you have to write them down in order to forget them and go back to sleep? That's my plan, anyway, so I don't have nightmares about invaders from Mars. I'll let you know how I go. Check the posting time on my next blog post.


No comments:

Post a Comment